Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween wasnt so hollow

Halloween has come and gone. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, if not my most favorite. This year there was no pumpkin carving, haunted houses, or trick o’ treaters. I did manage though to celebrate Halloween as any college student in America does: by dressing up and going to the bars. Ghana does not recognize Halloween except for some parts of campus and downtown European-inspired clubs and bars. My friends and I decided we would put on costumes and make the most of it. Two of my friends went dressed up as an Indian and a Cowgirl. I decided I would go as Amy Winehouse. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision. My ipod was on shuffle and a song of hers played and I remembered that several people have said I resemble her (whether that’s a negative or a positive is besides the point). So that was that, I would be Amy. It worked out well as everything I needed to complete my costume I had already owned. We had seen advertisements for a Halloween party at this one club we go to (Bella Roma) so we decided to check it out. I wasn’t expecting much. I thought we would be among the few who dressed up but to my surprise the place was decked out in Halloween decorations and everyone was in costumes (and there was candy!). The whole night I was wondering where people got their costumes. There were legitimate costumes, like the kind you can only buy from Halloween stores, and there were tons of very cool (and very creepy mask). I had searched Accra for a place to buy a costume and failed miserably. Most everyone got that I was Winehouse and a remix of her rehab song came on which pretty much made my night.

No comments:

Post a Comment