Sunday, November 7, 2010

Millie's Big Backyard

I was able to break away from the busy city life of Accra this weekend. I spent the weekend with my three girlfriends at a beach resort. Kokrobite beach is only about 30km from where I live but it feels much farther. We stayed at a place called Millie’s Big Backyard (check out there website for pics and info: http://www.bigmilly.com).
Millie’s backyard is like a little community of travelers and locals and the atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming. Friday’s dinner was served buffet-style (adding to the communal feel) followed by a night of “culture.” Culture night consisted of traditional dancing, fire breathers, and all sorts of excitement. Saturday night featured a reggae band and we danced the night away, all the while drinking the local island rum. During the days we spent most of the time soaking up the sun and swimming in the ocean. I remember sitting along the shore being amazed by all the life taking place around me. There was a game of soccer being played on the sand, men were taking fishing boats out, women were walking along the shore selling fresh fruits and jewelry, friendly dogs were roaming about, swimmers were catching waves, and I even saw people pass by on horses. It was a very good weekend. Now I’m back home and it’s time to start cracking down. Final exams are quickly approaching and to say I’m behind on my studies is an understatement; it’s just so easy here to get caught up in other things besides school, in my defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment