Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Redirected

I am safe and sound in Accra. Our travel went off course a little when our flight to Frankfurt was delayed. We spent four hours in the O’hare airport. The delay in Chicago made us miss our flight to Accra from Frankfurt so we were redirected. We had to rush through the German airport as soon as we landed to make our flight to London.
So all in all we traveled for more than 30 hours!!!! I got no more than an hour’s sleep at a time and between that and crapped seating and lugging around my bags from terminal to terminal I am sore and exhausted. After 5 airports it was of no surprise to me that my luggage had been lost. To make matters worse, since our flight did not arrive at the scheduled time, Ric and I had to fend for ourselves to get transpiration to University’s international hostel/dorm. We took a cab and our cab driver didn’t know where we needed to go and took us to these random hostels. To top it off, today we learned that the cab driver totally ripped us off, charging us 10 times the price of what the drive should cost.
So picture this: Ric and I siting outside this empty hostel, with half our luggage, at night, no idea where we are, in a strange land. I saw a woman walking in near us and tried asking her where we were and she said something i couldn't understand and then kept walking. I later learned that she was most likely a prostitute. After much waiting we finally found this nice Ghanaian couple who directed us to this hostel we could rent for the night. It was 10 cedi per person, no doubt up in price because we were Americans. The hostel keeper first showed us a room that was missing a bed and had a giant lizard crawling up the wall. The second door he opened revealed a room with two beds but an overflowing bathroom. Third time was a charm. There was no sheets on the mattresses. Luckily, I saved a blanket from the airport which I slept on, using my neck pillow for my head. The walls were paper thin and the halls were loud but even if it would have been silent i doubt i would have gotten more than an hours sleep at a time.
We took another cab early in the morning and this time we arrived at the right place.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment