Monday, August 16, 2010

Braids and Babies



Today I got my hair braided at the Busch Market on campus. It's this place where there are rows and and rows of little trading posts where you can find household items, jewelry and sunglasses, fresh fruit and fish, and tons of hair dressers. I really like my new braids and with my frizzy, curly, hard to manage hair, this new hair style makes things a lot easy. It was really cheap too; 20 cedi (~$15). The woman's name was Olivia and she was nice. The whole process took about two hours but that's including the times Olivia took breaks to take care of her six month old child named Andeshia (sp?) which means independence. Many traders bring their children to work with them. You can find children strapped on backs of woman or playing in the market. As an American, where obsessive parenting is the norm, I find it a little hard to watch children walking in markets on dirt floors with no shoes and a busy parent almost out of sight. But this is how they do things here.

No comments:

Post a Comment