Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Classes and slight confussion



Today was the third day of classes. Here, the first week of classes is kinda like a trail week. Class times and locations are still being altered and the professors only show up about half the time in the first week. Class sizes range from hundreds to less than 20 students. In total, there are more than 35,000 students at the University. International students represent about 3% of the total and their goal is to have about 10% of international students. The campus is pretty big and I can easily get lost. Class registration is a pretty complicated process compared to U.S. standards. Each student must go around to their department's building to see exactly which classes are offered and the time slots for each class. Students then must sign up in person for the classes they think they are going to take. For example, I am taking classes in Sociology, Political Science, and English. I had to walk around to each department to figure out my schedule. The process doesn't stop there. You must then register online as well. For the last few days the registration site has been down. I guess they're working on getting it fixed. Despite confusion, i am excited about my classes. I plan on taking International organizations, International conflict, conflict resolution and human rights, Sociology of gender, Literature of the African diaspora, and Society, government, and culture of Ghana. I am also planning on taking intro to Twi (the most common native language spoken here).

No comments:

Post a Comment